Electric heaters, fridges and freezers are the easiest and most impactful appliances to take part, but other high usage appliances like washing machines, dishwashers, tumble dryer all have great energy saving potential at peak times.
- Make the most of your appliances - Not all appliances will earn you the same amount of points during an Equivent. It is worth thinking about which appliances you should connect to make sure you are earning the most points and saving the most electricity that you can. Take a look at our helpful table below to see the difference in points that appliances can reward you with.
- Electric radiators and heated drying racks - used regularly for extended periods of time, the high-powered heating elements in these appliances mean that they can earn you lots of points when connected to the Equiwatt app for participation in Equivents via Smart Control.
- Fridges and freezers - switched on 24/7, these two appliances can earn you some of the best rewards. Food has been proven to be safe for up to 6 hours in a fridge without power which means a 60-minute Equivent is perfect!
- Tumble dryers and washing machines - tumble dryer owners use the dryer up to 150 times every year. The high-powered heating element in tumble dryers makes them the next best appliance to earn rewards with Equiwatt.
- Power strips - Power strips are a great way to turn off multiple devices at the same time. For users with Smart Plugs, if you only plug one thing into them and it’s not one of the above then you may be doing the Smart Plug an injustice. Maximise your savings by attaching a number of high energy usage appliances to a power strip/extension lead and plug that into your Smart Plug.
- Stay safe - Whatever appliances you connect to Equiwatt, please make sure that you do not exceed the 2.99kW rated power capacity of the TP-Link Smart Plug as this can overload the electrical systems in your home which is potentially dangerous.
Please note: this table only provides an example of the points that can be earned by participating in Equivents. The actual power consumption and points awarded will depend on the brand, model, year and type of your appliance.
|Appliance||Brief description||Points per Equivent||Points in 6 months *||Point value in 6 months|
|Electric Heater||High constant power consumption||60||3000||£30|
|Fridge / Freezer||Low but constant power consumption||12 - 34||600 - 1700||£6 - 7|
|Washing Machine / Dishwasher**||High power consumption, used occasionally for longer periods||74||1480||£14|
|Kettle, Microwave, lamp etc.**||Low power consumption used occasionally for shorter periods||15||300||£3|
* based on 2 to 3 Equivents per week
** based on appliances participating in a third of all Equivents
Please get in touch if:
- You have an appliance that uses high levels of energy on a constant basis to determine if it qualifies.
- You have an electric vehicle, a battery, a heat pump or another energy asset.